Sunday 2 June 2019

BOXING: ANDY RUIZ JR MAKES HISTORY AFTER BEATING ANTHONY JOSHUA IN NEW YORK


Andy Ruiz Jr beats all odds to pull off a historical upset by beating former heavy weight sensation Anthony Joshua inside Madison Square Garden in New York...



Ruiz Jr was a second pick with only 5 weeks notice and a "chubby" underdog but it did not stop him showing the world he is not to be messed with.

On the 3rd round as he floored Joshua twice and 7th and final round Joshua went down twice.


In terms of historical boxing significance this ranks way up the scale like the Mike Tyson vs Buster Douglas or Olover McCall vs Lennox Lewis 

Ruiz Jr now holds the IBF, WBO and WBA belts and now he is among the greatest heavyweight champs.

"I just feel so good, man" said the Mexican-American. 


"This is what I have been dreaming about. This is what I have been working hard for. I can't believe I just made my dreams come true."

"That was my first time getting dropped on the floor.

"It just made me stronger. It just made me want it more. I just had to knock him down."


CompuBox statistics has Joshua connecting 27% (47 of 176 shots)

Plans of Joshua unification bout with Wilder are now a mare dream with promoter Eddie Hearn calling out an immediate rematch with Ruiz Jr.

"AJ got sloppy," said Hearn

No comments:

Post a Comment