Showing posts with label Westminster Magistrates’ Court. Show all posts
Showing posts with label Westminster Magistrates’ Court. Show all posts

Friday, 7 August 2026

ENGLAND FOOTBALLER IVAN TONEY CHARGED OVER ASSAULT AT SOHO NIGHTCLUB

Ivan Toney has been charged with assault. Rene Nijhuis/MB Media/Getty Images


The England footballer will appear in Westminster Magistrates’ Court on 24 September

England footballer Ivan Toney has been charged with assault following an incident at a Soho nightclub in December, police have confirmed.

Toney, 30, of Northampton, was charged last Thursday with assault causing actual bodily harm in relation to an alleged incident which reportedly took place on 6 December last year at a nightclub on Wardour Street in London.

He will appear at Westminster Magistrates’ Court on 24 September, Metropolitan Police have said.

A spokesperson for the footballer said: “Ivan acknowledges the charge and although he is naturally shocked, he looks forward to being given the opportunity to clear his name in court.”

The Sun newspaper reported on 8 December that Toney had been arrested after an alleged headbutt.

Toney, who used to play for Brentford, is currently a striker for the Saudi Pro League team Al-Ahli. The footballer returned from the United States last month where he was part of Thomas Tuchel’s 26-man Three Lions squad in the World Cup.

He replaced Harry Kane as striker in England's 6-4 win over France in the “bronze final” of the tournament. He was also brought on as a late substitute in the semi final match against Argentina.

The police force said in a statement: “A man has been charged with assault following a Met investigation.

“Ivan Toney, 30 (16.03.1996), of Northampton, was charged on Thursday, 31 July with assault causing actual bodily harm.

“He will appear at Westminster Magistrates' Court on Thursday, 24 September.

“The charge relates to an assault, which reportedly took place on 6 December 2025 at a nightclub on Wardour Street, W1.”

- Bryony Gooch

Friday, 8 August 2025

VILLAREAL SIGNS MIDFIELDER THOMAS PARTEY AFTER HE GETS BAIL ON RAPE CHARGES

AP


VILLARREAL, Spain (AP) — Spanish soccer club Villarreal signed midfielder Thomas Partey on Thursday, two days after he was granted bail on rape charges in England.

Villarreal said the 32-year-old Ghana international, who became a free agent when his Arsenal contract expired in June, has joined “for the 2025-26 season.”

The club’s announcement touted Partey’s on-field attributes before turning to his legal case.

“The player firmly maintains his innocence and denies all charges against him. The club respects the fundamental principle of the presumption of innocence and will await the outcome of the judicial process, which will be responsible for clarifying the facts of the case,” Villarreal’s statement said. “Due to the law in England in relation to ongoing proceedings the club is unable to comment further.”


AP


Partey was granted bail Tuesday after appearing at Westminster Magistrates’ Court in London charged with five counts of rape. He has also been charged with one count of sexual assault. The alleged offenses, between 2021-22, relate to three women.

Villarreal added that it “wishes to clearly reiterate its strong commitment to respect and diversity and firmly condemns any act of violence in all its forms, including gender-based violence, discrimination, racism, xenophobia, or any behavior that undermines the dignity of individuals.”

- AP

Saturday, 31 May 2025

JENSON BUTTON THIEF JAILED AFTER £250,000 ROBBERY

Jenson Button on Sky F1 duty at the 2023 Canadian Grand Prix


A man who stole a suitcase containing £250,000 worth of jewellery and designer handbags from Brittny Button, the wife of 2009 World Champion and Sky F1 pundit Jenson Button, has been jailed.

Mourad Aid, 41, snatched Mrs Button’s bag outside St Pancras station in London in February after the couple had returned from a city break in Paris.

Thief jailed after robbery of Jenson Button’s wife

Aid, pounced when Mr Button, had his back turned while helping a chauffeur load their belongings into a car.

CCTV footage showed Aid taking a Goyard case containing jewellery from her wedding and heirlooms she had intended to pass to her daughter, as well as two Kelly handbags worth around £70,000, on February 13.

Aid was arrested by plain-clothed police officers on February 17, four days after stealing the case, and pleaded guilty to theft at Westminster Magistrates’ Court two days later on February 19.

None of Mrs Button’s goods, totalling £383,037.92, have been recovered.

The Algerian also pleaded guilty to handling stolen goods following the theft of a Rimowa cabin suitcase belonging to James Humphrey Evans in November last year.

Aid has been sentenced to two years and four months in prison for the two offences.

It emerged during the case that Aid was in the United Kingdom illegally, having stayed in Britain after his six-month tourist visa had expired in 2019.

He had also been violating his bail conditions, which barred him from King’s Cross Station, on the day of his robbery of Mr and Mrs Button.

Aid will be deported back to Algeria when his sentence has been completed.

In a victim statement on Friday, Mrs Button said that the incident had “stripped away her sense of safety, security and peace of mind.”

She also posted a meme via Instagram’s story function, which allows images and video clips to be posted for a 24-hour period, following the sentencing on Friday.

The meme read: “Being nice is overrated. Just find a good lawyer and choose violence.”

As previously reported by PlanetF1.com last month, Mrs Button revealed that she and her husband, who reside in the United States, have “no interest” in returning to the UK after the robbery.

She told the Mail: “I was kind of shocked. How like unsecure everything felt [in London], just so many people, so chaotic.

“I thought: ‘Should I have brought my carry-on back here with me?’ Because Jenson can be a little bit like not super careful, too trusting and a little too relaxed.

“He had his back on mine and a guy just came and swooped it. We didn’t even see him do it, so they were probably watching us.

“We had no idea until Jenson went: ‘Wait where is your bag?’ And he raced off trying to find it, but he [the thief] was already gone.

“I just started crying, I was a little upset with Jenson because I felt like he kind of dropped the ball a little but its not his fault someone was watching us.

“He also did get his bag stolen a few months ago in a car park in London.

“It definitely was shocking that I just didn’t think.

“I’m normally pretty cautious when I’m out in public and travelling, but I just didn’t think that there were gangs literally just waiting for people and watching.

“I’ve heard countless stories. When we first started dating we would go to London, and it was such like a nice place to be, and now it just feels very kind of dark and scary.

“My husband and I, we really have no interest going back to the UK and it’s a shame, because we will have to go back for family and work.

“It just feels so unsafe and doesn’t feel how it once was and it’s just unfortunate because that’s where my children’s grandmother and aunts live.”

- Oliver Harden