Showing posts with label Roy Jones Jr. Show all posts
Showing posts with label Roy Jones Jr. Show all posts

Monday, 2 June 2025

ROY JONES JR DELIVERS HIS HONEST MANNY PACQUIAO VS MARIO BARRIOS VERDICT: "I'M BACKING HIM TO WIN"

Image credit: Matchroom / Ryan Hafey



Roy Jones Jr has weighed in on the upcoming showdown between Manny Pacquiao and Mario Barrios.

‘PacMan’ will make a controversial comeback to the sport when he challenges WBC world welterweight champion Barrios on Saturday July 19 at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas.

The 46-year-old has been retired from boxing since he suffered defeat to former WBA world welterweight champion Yordenis Ugas, who beat the Filipino great via unanimous decision four years ago.

As the boxing world awaits the return of ‘PacMan’, many with concern, four-weight world champion Jones Jr has shared his thoughts on the 46-year-old’s comeback.

In an interview with Prime Casino, Jones said he was backing Pacquiao to get the job done against the younger and more active champion.

“The fact that Pacquiao can get in shape and go 12 rounds at 46 years old is beating most people right there. How many people can do that? There’s people that are 26 who can’t hardly go one round, and you’re doing it at 46, double their age. You got to take your hat off to Manny. I give Manny a chance, you always gotta give him a chance. I’m backing him.”

Should ‘PacMan’ be victorious in July, he would become the oldest world welterweight champion in boxing history, breaking the record he set himself when he defeated Keith Thurman to capture the WBA title back in 2019, which was his last victory in the professional ranks.

Barrios has held the belt since last year when he was upgraded from interim to full champion after Terence Crawford’s departure from the division. He kept hold of it with a split draw against Abel Ramos last time out.

- Toby Morgan

Tuesday, 12 November 2024

REVEALED: THE TWO HEALTH TESTS MIKE TYSON STILL HAS TO PASS BEFORE HE CAN ACTUALLY FIGHT JAKE PAUL - AS LEGENDARY BOXER'S RETURN STILL NOT OFFICIALLY SIGNED

  • 'Iron Mike' won 44 fights and was undisputed champion from 1987 to 1990 
  • He is making a long-awaited comeback against Paul in Texas on Friday night
  • But the 58-year-old must now pass more tests after a long battle with his fitness 




Mike Tyson faces a race against time to prove his fitness ahead of a huge comeback fight against Jake Paul, with the legendary boxer required to pass two more health tests ahead of the bout.

'Iron Mike' was the undisputed world heavyweight champion between 1987 and 1990 and terrified opponents with his incredible punching power.

The Brooklyn-born fighter ended his career with a record of 50 wins, including 44 by way of knockout, and six losses, including his disqualification against Evander Holyfield in 1997 for biting his compatriot in the third round.

He is due to make a long-awaited return to the professional boxing fray in his fight against YouTuber-turned-boxer Jake Paul in Arlington, Texas, on Friday, having last taken part in a sanctioned bout in June 2005 against Kevin McBride.

But the event could now be in jeopardy after it emerged that Tyson still has to pass a brain test (EEG) and a heart test (EKG) this week in a safety precaution agreed to months ago, Boxing Kingdom reports.

The Texas Department of Licensing and Regulation mandated the tests ahead of the bout, which pits boxers with a 31-year age gap. 

Indeed, when Paul was born, Tyson had already won 45 fights and won and regained two heavyweight belts.

The fight was originally supposed to take place in July but a stomach alcer flare-up while on a plane meant that the 58-year-old was advised to delay the contest.

At the time, Tyson said: 'I asked the doctor, "Am I going to die?"

'I lost 25 pounds in 11 days. Couldn't eat. Only liquids. Every time I went to the bathroom, it smelled like tar.

'All my coordination, stamina, everything was hectic getting back. I was peaked already. I could have fought him that day. Now, I got to start from scratch. I had, like, eight blood transfusions. The doctor said I lost half my blood. I almost died.'

Earlier this month, it was revealed that these claims were being investigated by officials from Texas Department of Licensing and Regulation - who are overseeing the event.

However, it's expected the Texas Licensing Regulators will not assess Tyson again until the day before the fight takes place. 

Therefore, there is a high risk that the bout could be cancelled just 24 hours before Iron Mike is set to step back into the ring. 

The result of the assessment could see the fight be downgraded from a professional one to an exhibition or even cancelled. 

However, Tyson is confident the bout will go ahead as planned and insists he is ready to dismantle Paul despite suffering a medical emergency earlier this year. 

Tyson has given marijuana up while training to fight Paul because it is on the list of banned substances used by the Texas Department of Licensing and Regulation.

The fighter, who became the youngest heavyweight title-holder at 20 years and four months in 1986, has struggled with a series of health issues in recent years.

Despite showing his enduring class in an exhbition bout against Roy Jones Jr in 2020, Tyson has persistently battled with chronic knee and back problems.

Two years ago, he had a severe sciatica episode which left him in a wheelchair and then using a cane.

- SAM LAWLEY

Tuesday, 5 November 2024

JAKE PAUL WARNED RULE CHANGE WILL BENEFIT MIKE TYSON IN BOXING FIGHT

Mike Tyson and Jake Paul go to war later this month (Image: AP)


'Iron Mike' hasn't fought a professional contest since losing to Kevin McBride back in 2005, but will make a sensational return to the ring next week against 'The Problem Child'

Roy Jones Jr believes Mike Tyson will benefit from the shorter rounds in his upcoming heavyweight fight with YouTuber-turned-boxer Jake Paul.

The fight - which is scheduled to take place on November 15 at the AT&T Stadium in Texas - will see Paul and Tyson go toe-to-toe in a professional showdown in an eight two-minute round format - as opposed to the more standard three-minute rounds. The sanctioned fight has already been approved by the Texas Department of Licensing and Regulation. Both boxers will wear 14-ounce gloves, more padded than the standard gloves.

The 58-year-old's last professional contest came back in 2005 against Kevin McBride. After quitting on the stool that night, Tyson opted to retire from the sport. He did, however, take part in an exhibition showdown with Jones Jr four years ago.

As for Paul, 'The Problem Child' made his debut in 2020 and has since taken the sport by storm. So far, the young American has defeated the likes of Anderson Silva, Tyron Woodley and Nate Diaz. His only defeat in the squared-circle came last year, losing on points to Tommy Fury. He has since bounced back with big wins over Diaz, Andre August, Ryan Bourland and Mike Perry.

Recently, Paul had dared his legendary opponent to take him on over 10 three-minute rounds after public demands, but the rules will NOT be changed. With the rules now set in stone ahead of the dust-up next Friday, Tyson's former opponent - Jones Jr - believes that it will benefit the 58-year-old.

Jones Jr believes the shorter rounds will help Tyson's endurance. In an interview with MMANYTT, he said: “When I boxed him four years ago, we did two-minute rounds, and, surprisingly, he didn’t lose energy; he kept the same pace”.

In the same interview, Jones Jr gave his official prediction for the upcoming contest. While many believe that Paul's age will prove to be a big factor, the boxing veteran insists Tyson is fully capable of getting the job done in Texas. “I believe in Mike, likely via decision. But if he wants to finish it, he can. Yet, if he’s just looking to enjoy the fight, he might take it slow and have some fun”, he added.

The 55-year-old concluded: "I’m not worried about Mike and his age. Mike is still hard to hit, and he hits like a truck.” While Jones Jr remains optimistic, There are a few fans who believe that 'Iron Mike' is not taking the fight seriously. During a recent chat with Jimmy Kimmel, the 58-year-old claimed he was training six hours a day. "I am training extremely hard, I do six hours a day. I start at 11am and might leave the gym at 5pm", he said. Kimmel looked stunned and replied: "Oh no. 11am? So that's six hours straight, or is there a lunch break?" The former heavyweight champion admitted there was a small break as a shocked Kimmel gasped: "Oh no".

In the same interview, when Tyson was asked if he intends to be high during his bout with Paul, he replied: “I’m going to be so high off life, yeah." Kimmel then asked: “Will you be high on marijuana, as well?" Tyson replied: "That’s a possibility, too." The host then commented: "Oh no my bet is getting lower as we talk".


Saturday, 1 June 2024

MIKE TYSON FIGHT WITH JAKE PAUL POSTPONED AFTER TYSON'S HEALTH EPISODE

 

Getty 

Mike Tyson’s fight with Jake Paul has been postponed after the 57-year-old Tyson fell ill on a flight last weekend.

Tyson and Paul said Friday that they will announce a new fight date next week. They were scheduled to meet on 20 July in Arlington, Texas.

Tyson became nauseous and dizzy during the final hour of a flight from Miami to Los Angeles last Sunday, and his plane was met by first responders who attended to the former heavyweight champion. Tyson’s camp attributed the episode to an ulcer problem.

 “During a follow up consultation on Thursday with medical professionals on his recent ulcer flare-up, the recommendation is for Mike Tyson to do minimal to light training over the next few weeks and then return to full training with no limitations,” the fight’s promoters said in a statement.

Tyson hasn’t fought professionally since June 2005, but he has been training regularly for several years. He fought Roy Jones Jr in an entertaining exhibition in Los Angeles in November 2020.

“My body is in better overall shape than it has been since the 1990s, and I will be back to my full training schedule soon,” Tyson said in the statement. “Jake Paul, this may have bought you some time, but in the end you will still be knocked out and out of boxing for good. I appreciate everyone’s patience and can’t wait to deliver an unforgettable performance later this year.”

Texas boxing officials have sanctioned Tyson’s meeting with Paul as a legitimate bout with eight two-minute rounds and unusually heavy gloves. Tyson will turn 58 before the fight, which was scheduled to be streamed on Netflix in what’s likely to be a massive payday for both fighters.

Tickets already purchased for the fight, which was to be held at the Dallas Cowboys’ home stadium, will be honored on the new fight date, promoters said. The rescheduled fight is also expected to be in Arlington.

The co-feature bout on the card was an eagerly anticipated rematch between Katie Taylor and Amanda Serrano for Taylor’s undisputed junior welterweight championship, a rematch of their epochal May 2022 fight at Madison Square Garden.

Representatives for Paul’s Most Valuable Promotions, which is promoting the card, did not immediately respond to a message from the Guardian inquiring about the status of the Taylor-Serrano fight in light of the Tyson-Paul postponement.

The 27-year-old Paul is a YouTube star who has forged a successful prizefighting career mostly by taking on mixed martial artists and journeymen boxers.

“I fully support postponing the event so Mike Tyson has no excuses come fight night,” Paul said. “My fans know I don’t want to face Iron Mike at anything but his best, but let there be no mistake: When he steps into the ring with me, I will be ready to claim my W with a sensational finish.”

- Guardian Sport