Showing posts with label FIA President. Show all posts
Showing posts with label FIA President. Show all posts

Monday, 20 April 2026

FIA PRESIDENT ISSUES STATEMENT BEFORE CRUNCH F1 2026 RULES MEETING

FIA president Mohammed Ben Sulayem speaks out ahead of key F1 rules meeting.


F1 is holding a series of key meetings about the 2026 rules


FIA president Mohammed Ben Sulayem has praised the “invaluable input” from Formula 1 drivers ahead of a crunch meeting about potential rule changes.

F1’s key stakeholders, including team principals and chief executives, are meeting with governing body the FIA on Monday with the aim of thrashing out solutions for tweaks to the much-maligned 2026 regulations.

A near 50-50 split between combustion and electrical power has placed greater emphasis on energy management and led to criticism from both drivers and fans during the opening three rounds of the season.

F1 is utilising the enforced five-week break without racing following the cancellation of the Bahrain and Saudi Arabian grands prix due to the Iran War to discuss possible changes to the rules.

It is hoped that agreement on improvements will be reached during Monday’s latest meeting. Any proposed changes would then be put forward for final approval at a World Motor Sport Council (WMSC) e-vote ahead of the Miami Grand Prix on 3 May.

Ahead of Monday’s key meeting, FIA president Ben Sulayem hailed input from the drivers.

"I am delighted to report that there has been constructive and collaborative discussion between the FIA and the Formula 1 drivers ahead of tomorrow’s CEOs and team principals meeting to discuss potential changes to the 2026 Regulations,” he said in a social media post.

"The drivers have provided invaluable input on adjustments which they feel should be made, particularly in the areas of energy management to ensure safe, fair and competitive racing.

"The FIA has also held a series of meetings over the past few weeks with technical representatives from the teams, power unit manufacturers and FOM to discuss proposed changes. Safety and the best interests of the sport are the main focus of these discussions.

"Following the meeting tomorrow, the final proposals will be put before a FIA WMSC e-vote.”

Speaking to media including Crash.net last week, George Russell revealed the main problem areas drivers hope can be addressed.

"I think the two headline points are flat-out qualifying, so no lift and coast, and then reducing the closing speeds,” the Mercedes driver said.

"The closing speed of the Bearman-Colapinto crash was twofold. One, of course Bearman was on his boost button and giving himself 350kW, so he had an abundance of power in an abnormal part of the track. And, on the flip side, Colapinto used his boost on the main straight the half a lap before, and was low on his battery, so he had a lack of power.

"So that is, at least in my eyes, where these closing speed differences are coming from and I think the FIA are definitely very much aware of that. From the drivers' perspective, just looking to reduce that closing speed in abnormal areas, and especially in non-SM [Straight Mode].

“If there's a straight that isn't an SM mode, that means it's because it's a corner and of course the Bearman crash was in a non-SM part of the track. So I think we're all aligned on those points.”

Russell added: "There's a lot of low-hanging fruit. For example, the minus 350 kilowatts super clip is a no-brainer, and that already in itself is going to avoid a lot of lift-and-coast, having the minus 350 kilowatt super clip.

"And there's other small parts of the regulation that say you can only de-rate the engine at a certain rate. So on a very short straight, there isn't enough time to go from 350 kilowatts to a super clip because the straight is too short.

“Some small changes around these regulations will have a major improvement for the overall driving experience."

- Lewis Larkam

Monday, 2 March 2026

FIA PRESIDENT ISSUES STATEMENT AS GROWING MIDDLE EAST CONFLICT THREATENS OPENING RACES

 



The President of the FIA, Mohammed Ben Sulayem has issued a statement amid the ongoing conflict in the Middle East, with the sport's governing body continuing to "monitor developments carefully and responsibly."

US and Israeli bombing of Iran at the weekend has been followed with a series of retaliatory strikes across the Middle East, primarily targeting US military bases across the region.

Speculation has since increased that the opening races of the F1 2026 season will be affected, particularly in Bahrain and Jeddah with F1 races scheduled in April, due to air traffic freezes in the Middle East that have impacted important travel hubs in the region.

'Safety and wellbeing will guide our decisions,' says FIA President

In a statement on social media, FIA President Ben Sulayem said the governing body are "deeply saddened" by the ongoing events in Middle East, and that the "dialogue and the protection of civilians must remain priorities."

Ben Sulayem said: "As President of the FIA, my thoughts are with all those affected by the recent events in the Middle East. We are deeply saddened by the loss of life and stand with the families and communities impacted.

"At this moment of uncertainty, we hope for calm, safety, and a swift return to stability. Dialogue and the protection of civilians must remain priorities."

The FIA President also emphasised that "safety and wellbeing" are to guide the governing body's decision making with regard to forthcoming scheduled events in the Middle East.

"We are in close contact with our Member Clubs, championship promoters, teams, and colleagues on the ground as we monitor developments carefully and responsibly.

"Safety and wellbeing will guide our decisions as we assess the forthcoming events scheduled there for the FIA World Endurance Championship and the FIA Formula One World Championship.

"Our organisation is built on unity and shared purpose.

"That unity matters now more than ever."

Melbourne F1 boss provides update on Australian Grand Prix amid Middle East unrest

Despite the Middle East travel freeze reportedly affecting up to 1000 F1 personnel, Australian Grand Prix CEO Travis Auld has issued an update on the season-opener, with the Melbourne boss "confident" the race will not be impacted.

- byHenry Eccles

Wednesday, 7 May 2025

FIA PRESIDENT OPEN TO SCRAPPING 'HEADACHE' F1 COST CAP

Mohammed Ben Sulayem is considering a scrapping of F1's cost cap


FIA president Mohammed Ben Sulayem is reportedly seeking to scrap the Formula 1 cost cap, something he believes is a “headache”.

The rule, which was introduced in 2021, is in place to close the competition between teams at the front and the back of the F1 grid, via a restriction on spending, with a sliding scale on aerodynamic testing.

Teams that are found to have overspent are subject to punishment, such as Red Bull, which was handed a $7 million fine and aero testing restriction two years ago.

However, the much-maligned head of the sport’s governing body is, according to a report by the Associated Press, considering a removal of the rule altogether.

“I’m looking at the cost cap and it’s just giving the FIA a headache,” Ben Sulayem was quoted as saying by the AP.

“So what’s the point of it? I don’t see the point. I really don’t.”

The comments came amid a suggestion from McLaren CEO Zak Brown that F1 teams that complain about a fellow constructor should be required to pay a financial deposit in order to do so.

This came after Red Bull lodged a complaint after last Sunday’s Miami Grand Prix, on the grounds that Mercedes’ George Russell had overtaken under yellow flags.

Brown believes that if such complaints are proven correct, the deposit should be paid back, but if they are unfounded – as it was in this instance – the fee should count against the cost cap.

Whilst being in agreement in principle, Ben Sulayem did not concur that the cost cap should be affected, saying: “You cannot just accuse someone without a written complaint, and that protest, you have to pay money.”

The F1 cost cap : level playing field initiative that courts controversy

The cost cap has enabled some teams to compete with the most financially viable teams which regularly compete at or near the front of the F1 grid.

It can be reached by the smaller teams through means such as sponsorship, which was the reason that Haas, for the first time in its history, was recently able to reach the cost cap, via a cash injection from title sponsor MoneyGram.

However, there is another controversy surrounding it, with teams being afforded an offset depending on the height of their country’s salary levels.

This proves to be a benefit for Audi, which makes its full F1 debut next year, due to being based in Switzerland, having transitioned from the country’s Sauber team.

- Jack Oliver Smith

Monday, 10 February 2025

FIA BOSS REVEALS 'NEW BLOOD' FOR 2025 F1 SEASON AFTER SHOCK RACE DIRECTOR EXIT

Niels Wiitch was removed from his role as F1 race director in the final weeks of last season



FIA president Mohammed Ben Sulayem has revealed there will be more than one F1 race director this season.

Former F1 race director Niels Wittich was removed from his role towards the end of last season in a surprising move by the sport’s governing body.

Wittich’s replacement in the hot seat has not been confirmed but – following Johnny Herbert’s departure as a driver steward last month – Ben Sulayem has revealed that “new blood” will feature in FIA race control from the first race in Australia on 16 March.

Asked about who will be the next F1 race director, Ben Sulayem replied at a press conference in Spain: “Who and how many is a question we will know soon, in the next few days.

“But for sure there will be new blood and there will be more than one [race director]. That’s for sure.

“There have been people learning, there have been people working behind all the time. You can’t just throw somebody into this big challenge.”

McLaren CEO Zak Brown stated last month that his team would be willing to contribute towards paying for full-time FIA officials, yet Ben Sulayem insists that the 10 teams overall do not want to help fund a stewarding crew.

“The teams can complain, drivers can complain, but then they don’t want to pay for it,” Ben Sulayem added.

“I’m being very, very honest and straight with you, this takes a lot of investment. It has taken us more than two and a half years to get to what we are achieving now. Do we have the results? We will know the results when the season starts.

‘It is very important. What if the race director decides not to go or if he gets sick? It’s the same as the FIA. If something happens to me tomorrow, the FIA will continue to function without me, so this has to be a system. It’s not about individuals.

“There are a lot of mistakes and then you blame the FIA. It’s easy to blame the FIA. Why can’t you be productive in your criticism and say: ‘How can we find a solution?’

‘But where is the solution? The solution is in training, the solution is to bring people in.”

Wittich first served as joint F1 race director – the person in charge of enforcing FIA rules, safety cars and parc ferme regulations – with Eduardo Freitas in 2022, following the exit of Michael Masi after the controversial end to the 2021 season in Abu Dhabi.

Prior to Masi, Charlie Whiting held the position of F1 race director and was a highly respected figure for two decades from 1997-2019, before his sad passing prior to the 2019 Australian Grand Prix.

- Kieran Jackson

Sunday, 1 December 2024

F1 PRESIDENT BLASTS F1 DRIVERS AS RACE FINES ROW ESCALATES

FIA president Mohammed Ben Sulayem has told Formula 1 drivers to mind their own business after they asked where money from race fines was going and why senior figures had left the governing body.

In an interview with Reuters ahead of Sunday's Qatar Grand Prix, the president suggested the drivers should stick to what they know best.

"Do we have to tell them? When something in the teams changes, do they tell us?," Ben Sulayem said when asked about the surprise departure of race director Niels Wittich before last weekend's title-deciding Las Vegas Grand Prix.

"We have the rules, we follow our rules. We don't follow someone else's rule. Simple as this."

Wittich has said he did not resign and the FIA have given no public explanation as to why he suddenly left beyond saying it was to pursue new opportunities. Media reports have said he was sacked.

Leading steward Tim Mayer, the son of former McLaren boss Teddy, and Formula 2 race director Janette Tan have also left.

Mercedes driver George Russell, a director of the Grand Prix Drivers' Association (GPDA), said on Thursday drivers wanted clarity and understanding "of what's going on and who's getting fired next."

Ben Sulayem, a former rally driver who was elected as FIA head in 2021, responded by saying: "Do we tell them how to drive? Do we tell them what to have as their strategy?

 

Mohammed Ben Sulayem was elected as the FIA president in 2021. Photo by Jakub Porzycki/NurPhoto via Getty Images


"It's none of their business. Sorry ... I am a driver. I respect the drivers. Let them go and concentrate on what they do best, which is race."

The GPDA issued a remarkable statement last month, in response to an FIA clampdown on swearing, in which they asked Ben Sulayem to treat them like adults and mind his own language towards them.

They also requested financial transparency and said all stakeholders, including drivers and teams, should jointly determine how and where the money from fines was spent -- with some suggesting it could help fund professional stewards.

"They talk and then they say, where are you putting the money? Why we don't do this? I don't say 'Oh, sorry, what about you?'," Ben Sulayem said.

"The drivers are getting over 100 million. Do I ask where they spend it? No. It's up to them. It's their right ... We do whatever we do with the money. It's our business. It's also with them and their money. It's their business."

Ben Sulayem said the drivers had his mobile number and he had nothing to hide.

- Reuters 


Wednesday, 6 March 2024

FIA CONFIRMS WHISTLEBLOWER COMPLAINTS AGAINST PRESIDENT REGARDING SAUDI ARABIA AND LAS VEGAS RACES

AP Photo


 The FIA said Tuesday that its compliance officer has received two complaints “detailing potential allegations involving certain members of its governing body" in seeming reference to whistleblower claims against the president of Formula 1's governing body.

The BBC reported this week that FIA President Mohammed Ben Sulayem allegedly intervened to overturn a penalty given to Fernando Alonso at last year's Saudi Arabian Grand Prix. A second BBC report says the same whistleblower also claims Ben Sulayem told officials not to certify the Las Vegas circuit for its high-profile race last November.

“The Compliance Department is assessing these concerns, as is common practice in these matters, to ensure that due process is meticulously followed,” the FIA said.

The FIA confirmed no details about the allegations or even that Ben Sulayem is the target. In an additional statement given to The Associated Press, an FIA spokesman said: “It is unfortunate and a source of great concern that the matter has been disclosed to the media without any prior authorization and that certain elements of the report were inaccurately reported.”

Thursday, 12 October 2023

FIA PRESIDENT SAYS ANDRETTI DOES NOT HAVE.TO GO TO COURT

Reuters 

FIA president Mohammed Ben Sulayem is confident Andretti's bid to join Formula One will be accepted without legal action or a relationship breakdown between the governing body and the championship.

The FIA accepted Andretti's bid to join the F1 grid in future, most likely in 2026, but Formula One Management (FOM), the sport's commercial rights holder, needs to agree to a commercial deal with Andretti for the team to be eligible for prize money.

FOM, guided by doubts held by teams and F1 boss Stefano Domenicali about what benefits Andretti would bring to the sport, has been lukewarm to the suggestion of an 11th team.

It has been suggested Andretti, who's bid includes a partnership with General Motors and Cadillac, might pursue legal action if F1 blocks its entry at this stage, with some pointing to anti-competition laws which exist in the European Union.

Ben Sulyaem has dismissed the idea of it going down a legal route.

Monday, 9 October 2023

FIA BOSS SULAYEM WANTS MORE F1 TEAMS AND FEWER RACES

Reuters 

Formula One needs more teams and fewer races and should welcome Michael Andretti's entry bid as good for business and the spirit of the sport, according to FIA President Mohammed Ben Sulayem.

The Emirati told Reuters at the Qatar Grand Prix he was optimistic the American's planned 11th team with General Motors' Cadillac brand would make it to the starting grid despite opposition from existing competitors.

The governing FIA announced last week it had approved Andretti's application and sent it on to Liberty Media-owned Formula One Management (FOM) for commercial discussions.

Those detailed talks could take some time.