Showing posts with label La Gazzetta dello Sport. Show all posts
Showing posts with label La Gazzetta dello Sport. Show all posts

Wednesday, 22 July 2026

LA LIGA CHIEF ACCUSES FIFA OF 'DESTROYING FOOTBALL INDUSTRY', CALLS FOR INFANTINO TO QUIT

Javier Tebas questions decision to postpone one-match ban given to US striker Folarin Balogun


US President Donald Trump and Fifa president Gianni Infantino stand under confetti as players of Spain celebrate with the World Cup trophy after winning the 2026 final against Argentina at New York New Jersey Stadium on Sunday. (Will Oliver/EPA/BackpagePix)


La Liga president Javier Tebas said Fifa president Gianni Infantino should resign, accusing the governing body of “destroying the football industry” by expanding international competitions at the expense of domestic leagues and clubs.

Tebas has repeatedly criticised Fifa over fixture congestion and plans to further enlarge the World Cup.

In an interview with Italian newspaper La Gazzetta dello Sport, when Tebas was asked if Infantino should quit, he said: “In my opinion, yes, I think his time is up.”

Infantino said in April that he would seek re-election for a fourth term as Fifa president, with the vote for the 2027-2031 cycle scheduled to take place in Morocco on March 18 next year.

Asked about growing criticism of Infantino’s leadership, Tebas said the Fifa president retained strong support among national federations despite concerns within the game.

“He shouldn’t stay, but the current state of affairs means he won’t leave,” Tebas said. “There’s no opposition candidate; no one wants to run to lose. This is the system, and it’s a system that’s flawed from the ground up.

“I’ve heard a lot of people against Infantino, who don’t agree with what he’s doing. They say it, but then they don’t do anything.”

Tebas also questioned Fifa’s decision to postpone the one-match ban given to US striker Folarin Balogun following a red card during the World Cup. The decision was made after the intervention of US President Donald Trump. Belgium beat the US 4-1 in the last 16.

“The suspension of the American player’s ban is an extremely serious matter. They were lucky that Belgium eliminated the US, because otherwise a case could have arisen that might have cost Infantino his job.

“Since Belgium won, they managed to bury the matter. But these things are just the tip of the iceberg.”

His comments come amid growing tensions within soccer’s governing structures.

They’re destroying the football industry, the one that generates tens of thousands of jobs for an event that lasts 40 days and only a minority of players attends.

— Javier Tebas

Uefa president Aleksander Ceferin did not attend Sunday’s World Cup final following a series of disagreements between European soccer’s governing body and Fifa over disciplinary procedures, refereeing logistics and match operations, a source with direct knowledge of the matter told Reuters on Tuesday.

Tebas also criticised proposals to expand the men’s World Cup to 64 teams, after CONMEBOL president Alejandro Dominguez renewed calls for Fifa to enlarge the centenary edition of the tournament in 2030.

Infantino has previously acknowledged that a 64-team format could be considered in the future.

Tebas said a further increase in the number of participating nations would come at the expense of domestic competitions and the wider football industry.

“Increasing the number of national teams makes no sense,” Tebas said.

“The football industry isn’t just the World Cup, which is the most important event. But not everything can revolve around the World Cup. It’s the national competitions that sustain this sport.

“They’re destroying the football industry, the one that generates tens of thousands of jobs for an event that lasts 40 days and only a minority of players attends.”

-- Karan Prashant Saxena, Reuters 

Friday, 18 April 2025

VERSTAPPEN NOT LEAVING SAYS HORNER AMID RUMOURED $300M BID BY ASTON MARTIN


Max Verstappen will continue to drive for Red Bull next year, team principal Christian Horner has stated following rumours of a lucrative offer from Aston Martin.

Red Bull is facing further speculation over their star driver’s future after he fell to third place in the championship at the previous round. The team’s motorsport consultant Helmut Marko last week claimed Verstappen could exploit an exit clause in his contract if he is not inside the top three by the summer break in August.

Asked whether Marko’s claim was true, Horner said: “I think ‘noise’ is exactly the right word to describe it.”

“There’s been a lot of noise outside of the team,” he told Sky. “Inside the team, I think Max again reaffirmed his commitment yesterday.”

Horner said Verstappen will “absolutely” continue to drive for Red Bull in 2026.

Verstappen’s dissatisfaction with the team’s dip in performance last year prompted claims he could move to a rival team before his current deal with Red Bull ends in 2028. The first rumours of an approach from Aston Martin emerged earlier this year.

Today La Gazzetta dello Sport claimed Aston Martin has offered Verstappen a three-year deal worth $300 million (£226m). The Italian newspaper claimed Saudi Arabia’s Public Investment Fund, which has spent heavily on other sports, intends to buy the team and will finance the bid for the four-times world champion.

Horner downplayed Marko’s fears Verstappen could leave the team. “People are always going to have their concerns,” he said. “As a team we are very much focused on sorting this car out. Sort the car out, it doesn’t even become a discussion point.”

Verstappen and team mate Yuki Tsunoda ended the first practice session at the bottom of the top 10. Horner said the team had “gone a little radical on some of the set-up,” in that session.

“We’ve got plenty to look at. We ran the cars slightly differently as well, so that we’ve got that info. 

- Keith Collantine