Showing posts with label Jarrad Branthwaite. Show all posts
Showing posts with label Jarrad Branthwaite. Show all posts

Monday, 1 July 2024

MAN UNITED STEP UP PURSUIT OF DE MATTHIJS DE LIGT - SOURCES

Matthijs de Ligt is being lined up by Manchester United. Mateo Villalba/Getty Images


 Manchester United have stepped up their interest in Bayern Munich defender Matthijs de Ligt, sources have told ESPN.

United have made contact with De Ligt's representatives and an official approach to Bayern is expected soon.

The club have turned their attention to the Netherlands international, who is available from Bayern, after reaching an impasse in their talks with Everton over a deal for Jarrad Branthwaite.

United have already seen a bid of £43 million including add-ons rejected by Everton, who value the 22-year-old at around £70m.

Manager Erik ten Hag is keen to bring in at least one centre-back this summer to replace Raphaël Varane, who left Old Trafford on a free transfer at the end of the season. Sources have told ESPN that there is also interest in Lille's Leny Yoro and Marc Guéhi at Crystal Palace.

Real Madrid are leading the race to sign 18-year-old Yoro and Liverpool are also interested in Guehi, who has impressed for England at Euro 2024.

Signing at least one centre-back is a key part of United's summer recruitment plan, as well as bringing in a striker and a central midfielder. United have followed De Ligt since his breakthrough at Ajax and were interested before he moved to Juventus in 2019.

He joined Bayern in 2022 but has slipped down the pecking order at the Allianz Arena. The Bundesliga giants signed Kim Min-Jae from Napoli last summer and are keen to bring in Germany international Jonathan Tah from Bayer Leverkusen before the start of the new season.

United are open to offers for Victor Lindelöf and Harry Maguire this summer. Fenerbahce are interested in Lindelof, who has a year left on his contract, but there has not yet been a formal approach to United.

The club remain in talks with Jonny Evans about a new contract. If Lindelof or Maguire leave, United will push to bring in two centre-backs, although the recruitment department are conscious that finances are tight and the squad needs another striker to replace Anthony Martial, who has left after the expiry of his contract.

- Rob Dawson, Correspondent

Friday, 14 June 2024

MAN UNITED PUT OFF BY £70M FEE FOR JARRAD BRANTHWAITE

Jarrad Branthwaite has impressed at center-back for Everton this season. Tony McArdle/Everton FC via Getty Images


 Manchester United are prepared to pursue other targets if Everton are unwilling to negotiate over a fee for Jarrad Branthwaite, a source has told ESPN.

Branthwaite is a priority for United in the summer window, but Everton's valuation of more than £70 million ($89m) is problematic.

Sources have told ESPN that Branthwaite is keen to move to Old Trafford and contact with the 21-year-old's representatives has been positive.

United intend to make a formal offer, but a source has told ESPN that Everton will need to compromise on their demands over a fee for a deal to happen.

Sources have told ESPN that United have other centre-backs targets including Marc Guéhi, Jean-Clair Todibo, Leny Yoro and Matthijs de Ligt and are prepared to move on if Everton refuse to negotiate.

According to a source, Everton will need to offload players this summer as they battle to stay on the right side of profit and sustainability regulations.

Everton, according to a source, are insisting their valuation of Branthwaite is fair and in part based on Josko Gvardiol's move from RB Leipzig to Manchester City last year.

Gvardiol, who is a similar age and also a left-footed centre-back, moved to the Etihad Stadium for a fee of around £77m.

United are working with a tight transfer budget this summer and sources have told ESPN that the fee paid for a centre-back will have a direct impact on which other targets can be pursued during the window.

The club are also looking to bring in a striker and a central midfielder with both top targets and lower cost options being considered.

United are hopeful of boasting their summer budget by securing permanent exits for Jadon Sancho and Mason Greenwood.

Both are valued at around £40m and United are keen to explore permanent deals first before considering whether to sanction loan moves. Sancho and Greenwood spent last season on loan at Borussia Dortmund and Getafe, respectively.

- Rob Dawson, Correspondent

Wednesday, 20 March 2024

MAN UNITED TEENAGE MIDFIELDER KOBBIE MAINOO GETS FIRST CALL-UP BY ENGLAND

AP Photo 


 LONDON (AP) — Manchester United teenager Kobbie Mainoo's swift rise to prominence could yet see the midfielder play for England in high-profile friendlies against Brazil and Belgium in the coming days.

The 18-year-old Mainoo received his first call-up by England on Tuesday, his latest step in a breakthrough season that could yet end with a place in his country's squad for the European Championship in Germany across June and July.

Mainoo had been selected for England's Under-21s but was added to Gareth Southgate’s senior group ahead of games against Brazil on Saturday and Belgium on Tuesday, both at Wembley Stadium.


AP Photo


Mainoo, who previously represented England Under-17s and Under-19s, has played with maturity and composure in racking up 20 appearances so far for United this season.

The midfielder joined United at age nine and made his debut in early 2023 in a League Cup game against Charlton.

Mainoo is also eligible for Ghana and its football association has previously expressed interest in calling him up.

England's stock of high-quality central midfielders is currently low, with Kalvin Phillips — a long-time favorite of Southgate's — dropped for the latest squad and Jordan Henderson a fading force. Declan Rice looks to be a certainty for England in that position but Mainoo could yet force his way into the team alongside him, and behind attacking midfielder Jude Bellingham, for Euro 2024.



Southgate announced his squad for the friendlies last week and all the players called up by the coach reported to the training camp on Tuesday.

Among them was Brentford striker Ivan Toney, who was recalled after serving an eight-month ban for breaching betting rules.

Also receiving their first summons were Everton defender Jarrad Branthwaite and Newcastle forward Anthony Gordon.

Liverpool defender Joe Gomez was called up for the first time since 2020 but there was no place for Phillips, who has endured a difficult start to his loan spell with West Ham from Manchester City.