Showing posts with label Alejandro Echevarria. Show all posts
Showing posts with label Alejandro Echevarria. Show all posts

Tuesday, 10 March 2026

JOAN LAPORTA DEFENDS ALEJANDRO ECHEVARRIA, ' DOES NOT FEAR' LIONEL MESSI SPEAKING ABOUT FAILED BARCELONA RETURN


Barcelona President Joan Laporta has moved to defend advisor Alejandro Echevarria, and given his version of events regarding the failed return of Lionel Messi in 2023. The Catalan side were in talks over bringing back Messi, but during an interview on Sunday night, then manager Xavi Hernandez claimed that Laporta sabotaged his return.

During an election debate on Monday morning with fellow presidential candidate Victor Font, Laporta put Xavi’s comments down to bitterness, due to the fact that Hansi Flick was enjoying more success than him currently. Speaking to Cadena Cope on Monday night, Laporta said that the decision not to return was purely down to Messi.

“What hurts me the most is that Mr. Font has used a Barcelona legend like Xavi. I don’t quite understand why Xavi is saying that about Messi. It seemed like things were going to happen after his time at PSG; I gave him a draft contract, he came to my house and said they had decided they would be better off in Miami. And that was that. Bringing this up now only serves to muddy the waters of the elections.”

Laporta ‘does not fear’ Messi explanation

So far Messi has remained relatively opaque about his return, admitting that there were conversations, but noting that he was told Barcelona had to sell players in order to make the deal happen. La Liga President Javier Tebas claims that the league did not approve Messi’s return in terms of the salary limit situation, while Laporta’s version differs from both.

“We were just barely within the fair play requirements. The contract was sent to Jorge (Messi), and while waiting for his response, May arrived. At the end of the month, he told me they had decided on Inter Miami. And that’s how it ended. I don’t fear Messi or Jorge speaking out. I’m convinced they would tell the same story. We’ve always understood each other; I don’t think the story would change. We don’t want to distract from what matters to the Barca fans. We choose the people we want to represent us for the next five years. Xavi’s involvement adds nothing.”

Alejandro Echevarria ‘one of the best people I know’

Meanwhile another focus of Xavi’s interview was the role of advisor Alejandro Echevarria. Originally part of Laporta’s board during his first term, Echevarria resigned in 2005 after it became public knowledge that he was a patron of the Francisco Franco Foundation, which promotes the ‘work’ of the former Spanish dictator. He has returned to the club under Laporta, but has no official role.

“Alejandro works for the club; he’s completely trustworthy, especially regarding RFEF and La Liga matters. He’s always looking out for the balance in the dressing room. He’s one of the best people I know – intelligent, brave, and honest. He has those qualities. I have Masip, and Alejandro. Some people get paid, but Alejandro, for example, doesn’t. He has his own professional life and can be exempt from this. I’ve had advisors like Johan, who was my idol, and we had a great rapport.”

The former Blaugrana midfielder claims that Echevarria, Laporta’s ex-brother-in-law, has as much control as the former president himself, and that it was Echevarria that engineered his sacking.

“It’s not about who’s in charge. It’s my turn to lead, and I lead willingly, making decisions after considering the opinions of those around me. They want to cause harm; it’s a deliberate attempt to hurt me by attacking someone else. It’s despicable because if we look at how Xavi’s services were dismissed, Yuste and Alejandro were his staunchest defenders. They stuck it out through the indefensible. We said that things weren’t working anymore. I had to be the one to say it was over. I did it with a heavy heart; I appreciate Xavi, and I still do. If I saw him, I would try to understand why he did it.”

Elections are scheduled for this Sunday in Barcelona, where one of Font or Laporta will be elected as president for a five-year term. The latter is running for his fourth mandate.

- Ruairidh Barlow

Monday, 9 March 2026

'HE BETRAYED ME': BARCELONA LEGEND XAVI REVEALS WHY HE WILL NEVER RETURN TO CLUB AMID EXPLOSIVE ROW WITH PRESIDENT JOAN LAPORTA


Former Barcelona head coach Xavi and Joan Laporta have become locked in a war of words following a controversial interview in which the former Barcelona midfielder claimed the president blocked Lionel Messi from making a hero’s return to the club over fears of a power struggle. 

In a wide-ranging interview with La Vanguardia, Xavi opened up about the breakdown in his relationship with the club’s power brokers and revealed details of a failed plan to bring back club legend and former team-mate Messi in 2023.

'We had the green light from La Liga, but Laporta threw everything out. He told me, verbatim, that if Messi came back, he was going to wage war against him and that he couldn't allow it.

'I tried to talk to Leo and he wouldn't answer the phone. I spoke to his father (Jorge Messi) and told him I didn't understand anything, and he said, "Talk to the president." It was all set, it was going to be his "last dance," like Michael Jordan, everything was ready.


Xavi has claimed that Barca president Joan Laporta blocked the return of Messi due to concerns that the Argentinian would 'be more powerful than him' at the club


'I’m never going back to Barca. I’ve already done my time as a player and coach. Now I just want to tell the truth. Messi didn’t come to Barca because Laporta didn’t want him. It’s a lie that his father asked for more or that La Liga didn't want him. Laporta has all the power at the club and he knew that Messi would manage that power for him.'

Xavi also claimed he had been hamstrung by financial constraints, which he said contributed to his team’s poor performances. A request to bring in Martin Zubimendi from Real Sociedad was rejected, with the midfielder later joining Arsenal for £55million. 

He also pointed to the departure of Jordi Cruyff as sporting director as a symbol of the deterioration of a club whose values had long been shaped by the footballing philosophy of Jordi’s father, Johan Cruyff.

Xavi's comments come ahead of this week’s presidential election, in which Laporta is aiming to be re-elected. Club members will head to the polls on Sunday to choose between him and Victor Font. 

Laporta has since fired back at Xavi’s comments, claiming the Barcelona legend has been left embittered by the fact that his successor, Hansi Flick, has been more successful.


Laporta has hit back at Xavi's comments, saying that his presidential rival Victor Font is 'using' Xavi as part of a smear campaign ahead of this week's elections


'When I see what Xavi has said, I think about Hansi Flick,' Laporta told RAC1. 'Being Barca president is a tough job and you have to make difficult decisions. I did what I had to do.

'With Xavi, I saw that we were going to lose and that with Flick we were going to win. I understand that he's hurting. With the same players, Flick is winning.

'As for Messi, this is how it was: In 2023, I was told Messi wanted to return and I sent the contract to Jorge Messi, who later came to my house and told me that there would be too much pressure back here and that they would prefer to go to Miami.'

During the interview, Xavi also accused Laporta of being influenced by his former brother-in-law, Alejandro Echevarria, whom he claims holds real power at Barcelona.

'Laporta convinced me to stay when I had said in January I was leaving. He told me: "I don't see the team without you."

'The president got rid of me without telling me the truth, conditioned by a person who is above him, who is Alejandro Echevarría. That's to say, who really got rid of me as coach is Alejandro.

'He (Echevarria) has more power than Laporta, he betrayed me.' 

Laporta addressed those claims by suggesting his opponent in the presidential race, Font, is 'using' Xavi as part of a smear campaign ahead of the vote.

'What hurts me is that he allowed himself to be used,' Laporta added. 'To hurt me, he’s used someone from my inner circle (Alejandro Echevarria). They defended him (Xavi) even when it was indefensible for him to continue, as did Yuste. He’s eager to smear me. Behind Xavi, I understand Victor Font is trying to manipulate this electoral process.' 

- TARA ANSON-WALSH