![]() |
| Mikel Arteta is bidding for back-to-back Premier League titles (Picture: Getty Images) |
Arsenal are clear favourites to win the Premier League this season, according to one of their former players, but should be ‘careful’ of the challenge Chelsea present.
The Gunners got off to a great start to their title defence, winning the first four league games of the new season, although were halted in their tracks last time out by a 3-0 defeat by Brighton.
That surprise result allowed Manchester City to take an early lead in the title race, with Enzo Maresca’s side boasting five wins from as many games.
However, the club has been thrown into chaos during the international break, with City found guilty on a huge number of charges for breaking financial rules.
It will be a huge task for Maresca to keep the team on course with the scandal ongoing as the club attempts to appeal the verdict.
It would still seem that Manchester City present the greatest challenge to Arsenal at the moment, but former Gunners full-back Emmanuel Eboue feels the Blues are a threat.
Xabi Alonso’s team has looked very dangerous at times this season, but also vulnerable and with just seven points from five games, don’t look a lot like title challengers.
Eboue, though, has told LiveFootballTickets: ‘Chelsea are a team Arsenal need to be careful of because they have a lot of very good players. The Premier League is going to be very tough, but I believe in what Arteta is doing and I believe in Arsenal.’
The Ivorian has put a figure on how much he believes in his former club, giving them a 75 per cent chance of winning the Premier League title again this season.
‘Arsenal are my team,’ he said. ‘This season is going to be very tough because there are so many good teams and good players. But if Arsenal play the way they have been playing, I believe they can win the league. I would give them maybe a 75 per cent chance.’
He added: ‘Arsenal have been getting closer and closer. If you keep getting close every year, one day you will win it. I believe in this team and in the way they play.
‘Before, people would say Arsenal play good football but they don’t win. Now teams are going to be scared when they play against Arsenal.’
Another former Arsenal star, Theo Walcott, has raised a couple of concerns over Arsenal’s chances of retaining the league title.
‘They remain a little vulnerable away from home,’ Walcott told talkSPORT. ‘I like [Christos] Tzolis, but from what I’ve seen away from home, I haven’t been as impressed.
‘It’s difficult to really shine away from home. You can have those players that are great at home or great at training, but can’t [do it] away when it really matters. Don’t play him, play someone else, play someone who is going to work for the team or do something different.’
He added: ‘I think they are exceptional and I do feel they’ve got everything to retain it. But it’s not going to be easy, because they’ll want to win the Champions League.’
- Phil Haigh

No comments:
Post a Comment