Tuesday 16 July 2024

EXCLUSIVE | ‘I DON’T BELIEVE IN IT. I THINK IT COULD KILL CHELSEA’ – FRANK LEBOEUF SLAMS MULTI-CLUB OWNERSHIP


As part of our extended interview with Frank Leboeuf, Get French Football News asked the former France international and 1998 World Champion for his thoughts on multi-club ownership and the state of football today.

You played for Strasbourg and then for Chelsea, who are now linked through the BlueCo Group. The Strasbourg fans are very sceptical about this and I wanted to know what you think of multi-club ownership.

For me it raises a big deontological problem – when you see that Manchester City and Girona are the same and if they play each other in the Champions League – well they can’t play each other – Girona would be out of the Champions League – it’s not normal and it’s something that I don’t understand. But there you go, it’s the new system, it’s a financial issue. I think it’s good that Chelsea is close to Strasbourg to help them out financially. But when you’re not close to a club you can’t give your opinion – you don’t know the region, and you don’t know how football works there. Strasbourg is known as “little Marseille” – the club belongs to the locals – it’s their club – it would be like asking Newcastle to do whatever Chelsea want.

You can put money in – no problem – but you can’t be the one making decisions if you don’t know the region, you don’t know how it works. So you need to be really careful because the fans are sceptical, they’re disappointed for the moment because they’re not seeing anything happen. And you get the impression that Chelsea are transferring their issues on to Strasbourg – so no players of experience, only youngsters, only trading business, all about the future and nothing for the present. And that raises issues for me, as neither at Strasbourg nor at Chelsea, will it work for me. I don’t believe in it. I think it could kill Chelsea, it could also lead Strasbourg towards a slow death. So it can bring money in but at some point you need results and if it’s to end up in Ligue 2, or in the Championship for Chelsea, then it won’t do.

And you mentioned City and Girona. The situation is even worse for ESTAC Troyes. Take Savio who is a Troyes player, has never played for them, impresses at Girona and moves to City and Troyes lose out…

Yes, well that’s the system and maybe those in charge at Troyes shouldn’t have accepted it, but then they needed the money. That’s the problem – money. And we have the issue with Ligue 1 and TV rights – I know Vincent Labrune and he’s trying to raise the price but Ligue 1 doesn’t have the attraction because the best players leave for the best Spanish, German or English clubs. We have a problem in terms of the clubs’ tax liability which makes it impossible for them to compete, so they lose all their best players. And this has been going on for 30 years, since the Bosman ruling. I was one of the first examples – as soon as I had the opportunity to leave, I left for Chelsea. By leaving for Chelsea, I earned twice as much money, because it costs as much for Chelsea as it did for Strasbourg – a player costs twice his fee, compared to an English club, in terms of tax. It’s not workable.

It’s a big problem. I saw this week Bielsa talking about how football is becoming more a business than a sport.

Yes, I saw that too. I’m not a fan of Bielsa but I thought what he said was very interesting – the more people watch, the more it becomes a business and the less it’s about the game. I watched Brazil against [Bielsa’s] Uruguay [in the Copa America] and it’s one of the worst matches I’ve watched in my life. I saw players falling over all the time, complaining all the time – it was horrific. I was watching it with Steve McManaman – we’re both here in the US at the moment so we watched it together – and we were saying it’s not possible, how can people pay for tickets to watch this match, it’s horrific, there is no football, there is nothing. It’s just a match with so much at stake that everyone is just playing out their own little drama – it’s no longer football.

Lebeouf was speaking to Get French Football News in association with BoyleSports, who offer the latest Euro 2024 Betting.

- GFFN | Jeremy Smith

No comments:

Post a Comment