Thursday, 8 October 2026

MIKEL ARTETA'S BIZARRE MANAGEMENT TECHNIQUES STARTED ON DAY ONE AT ARSENAL: BOSS REVEALS HOW HE DESTROYED AN OFFICE - AND ORDERED STAFF TO PUT IT BACK AGAIN IN TWO MINUTES


Mikel Arteta has long been known for his unusual ways of testing the Arsenal squad.

From hiring a pickpocket to steal his own player's wallets to directing travel disruption during pre-season, the Arsenal boss turns heads with regularity with his training-ground methods that are designed to keep the champions one step ahead of the pursuing pack.

Arteta was famed for his use of speakers in training (not just blasting You'll Never Walk Alone before a 4-0 defeat at Anfield in 2021) and has even brought in a team dog named Win.

Now, in the wake of agreeing new terms with the Gunners that have made him the Premier League's highest-paid boss, Arteta has revealed that his quirky practices began on his very first day on the job back in December 2019.

The then 37-year-old claimed he 'destroyed' an education centre at Arsenal's training centre, throwing 'the computers, the laptops, the cables' on the floor. He then requested his staff to reorganise the office in no time at all in order to prove their togetherness.

In an interview with The Athletic, Arteta explained: 'I said, "Listen, this is what I heard. I don’t know if it’s true. But from a lot of different people, the sentiment is that this is how they feel about working in the organisation. I’m here to help you enjoy your profession and your life and the passion that we all share. If you want me to help you to do that, you have two minutes to put this in order and at least to be ready to work together’. And I left.


Mikel Arteta has agreed terms on a lucrative new deal that keeps him at Arsenal until 2030


'That could have been my managerial career because if that would have stayed the same way, I had no job anymore!'

Arteta then outlined how he came back moments later and everything was 'immaculate'.

'Everyone was silent and had their eyes open and they were ready to listen. I said, "This is just the start. It’s something that we have to be in daily. Whatever we want to accomplish, we’re going to have to do it together. I cannot do it by myself. The issue that we have is much deeper than that, but the opportunity is infinite".

While peculiar, these methods are a core reason why Arteta has been able to propel Arsenal back to the top of English football.


Arteta has admitted that his first bizarre mangerial method was put into action on his first day in the job back in 2019


The 44-year-old wanted to inspire all of his players and staff to become one unit, an us-against-the-world mentality. He believed that by being all together as one, 'we can create a monster’, and that is what he has managed to do during his seven years at the helm.

'What I decided the day I accepted this incredible opportunity was I’m going to give my life, my soul, all my knowledge, and my best ability to deliver a dream - to connect this football club from top to bottom.

'Then I made a commitment with myself. I need to enjoy the journey and I’m going to the journey. Because I didn’t know how tough it was going to be, I had no experience, I never did it before. I have to be so alert, so curious, and just go day by day.'

After taking the club from tenth position in 2019 to Premier League champions, as well as reaching the Champions League final, Arteta has been rewarded with a lucrative new deal which boosts his salary – which was worth up to £15million with bonuses.


Arteta is famous for his unusual training methods and once blasted 'You'll Never Walk Alone' at his players in training ahead of their trip to Liverpool back in 2021


Arteta's new contract is understood to be worth around £20m per year and makes him the league's best-paid manager. Unai Emery, Andoni Iraola, Enzo Maresca and Roberto De Zerbi are all thought to earn in the £10-12m bracket annually, with Oliver Glasner not far behind.

The Spaniard's contract was due to expire next summer, but this new agreement shuts down any speculation over his future, running until 2030.

Arteta said: 'It's a privilege to commit my future to the club and to continue to work with exceptional people who want the best for Arsenal. This club is unique, its character and the way it makes you feel, and I have a great sense of privilege that our journey together will continue.

'We have already built a special bond and created memories that will last a lifetime, and what is so exciting is that this is only the beginning of what we can achieve together.

'I'm extremely grateful to Stan and Josh (Kroenke) for their trust and support, and feel honoured to be leading this club through such a special period in its 140-year history.

'This is such a proud moment for me and my family. I feel the love and respect from our fantastic supporters, and they have mine – and ours – in return.'

- HARRY BAMFORTH

No comments:

Post a Comment