Thursday 19 September 2024

CANELO GIVES HONEST VERDICT ON EDGAR BERLANGA'S POWER AS FANS SHOCKED AT POST FIGHT BRUISING

 Saul ‘Canelo‘ Alvarez secured another comfortable victory at the weekend, this time against Edgar Berlanga.



The unified super-middleweight champion looked set for an early night when he knocked the previously unbeaten Berlanga down in the third round with a perfectly timed left hook. The 27-year-old punched his gloves together in anger and got up to survive the round.

From that moment fans were expecting four-weight world champion Alvarez to add to his knockout tally, but the challenger survived to hear the final bell after 12.

Canelo, although visibly bruised after the fight, was never troubled by what Berlanga was able to land and ended up cruising to a wide unanimous decision.

In a video from the post-fight press conference uploaded to FightHub fans were quick to comment on the markings left by Berlanga’s shots on Canelo: “Wow. Never seen Canelo’s face so marked after a fight”, “You’d think he’d been in a war by the look of his face”, “Canelo face was swelling up after the first”.

However, Canelo was asked to rate Berlanga’s power and he compared it to that of his son.

“I say to him in the tenth or ninth round, ‘you hit like my son’. He thinks he hits hard, but he hits like my son. But I’m super strong so that’s why maybe.”

As for Berlanga, he believes Canelo is ‘for sure’ the hardest hitter he has ever shared the ring with.

“I’ll say he hits the hardest for sure.

I already told myself ‘I know I’m going to get hit, I know I’m going to get hit on my chin’, but I’ve got to bit down on my mouthpiece and push.

It comes with boxing, the greats got dropped got hurt, but it’s about how you come back.”

Canelo is expected to return to the ring next May for his usual fight date on Cinco de Mayo weekend. Who will be in the opposite corner remains to be seen.

- Toby Morgan 

No comments:

Post a Comment