Yadong Song’s team planned for an uppercut finish throughout training camp.
Song firmly put himself in title contention in the Ultimate Fighting Championship with the biggest victory of his career, finishing Umar Nurmagomedov in the second round of the UFC Shanghai headliner. The Chinese bantamweight’s coaches identified the route to victory long before fight night.
Yadong Song explains the preparation behind his UFC Shanghai knockout of Umar Nurmagomedov
After his knockout victory, Song revealed he had specifically prepared the uppercut as a counter to Nurmagomedov's takedown attempts. “The Kung Fu Kid” claimed that his boxing coach identified where the Dagestani was vulnerable and they repeatedly worked on the finishing sequence he pulled off at UFC Shanghai.
Song explained that his team anticipated Nurmagomedov shooting with his head dipping towards the left side and worked on counters to that movement.
“My boxing coach, Rudy Hernandez, he already told me, ‘You gonna get the knockout tonight with uppercut,’” Song said in a post-fight interview. “We’ve been working on that. We know he gonna shoot from the left side and we find the uppercut.”
In the same interview, Song claimed that he’d finish current champ Petr Yan and former champ Sean O’Malley in rematches after they previously outpointed him. He also fancies himself against Merab Dvalishvili.
“I feel like I can finish everyone,” Song added. “You know, I can, I can finish Petr. I can finish Merab, you know. So even Sean's fight is very close. You know, if a rematch, I can finish him too.”
“I feel like I can finish anyone.”
Song Yadong (@SongYaDongLFG) leaves Shanghai with a massive statement win as he looks to make his case for a shot at UFC gold
Main Card Results ➡️ https://t.co/G8E8FUHUKb pic.twitter.com/RqmEBkWorf
— UFC News (@UFCNews) August 29, 2026

No comments:
Post a Comment